Skip to main content

On Aaron Swartz

A year ago, I wrote (in a rather unfortunate context):
I have no idea what exactly caused Aaron Swartz to commit suicide beyond being reasonably certain that the possibility of jail-time does nothing to alleviate depression, assuming that depression was the cause.

I do, however, believe Aaron Swartz's death raises issues regarding the kind of society we want to build and what an appropriate response to 'data liberation' is, amongst others. Personally, it has caused me to consider the role of lawyers in the proprietary knowledge economy in ways I have never done before, and there are questions which I have to answer for myself (and will). I cannot, at this time, address any of these issues though — I'm still far too upset even though I had no connection to Aaron Swartz at all.
A year after his death, I'm no more capable of being articulate than when I first heard of his having died.

I've compiled links to a few articles which I read about him soon after his death here:






































(This post is by Nandita Saikia and was first published at Indian Copyright.)